Friday, May 18, 2012

Patrick Cragun Info Found On A Forum

I was told about the deed. I can neither confirm nor deny, but about the same time as your message was posted, I received the following e-mail in reply to a Sullivan County Tennesee Inquiry. I do not know if it is the same deed.


"Patrick Cragor received a NC grant #308 dated 10 Nov., 1784. on Indian Creek, 170 acre. This had been entered 30 Dec., 1778 where he now lives. Patrick sold this land to Charles Barnett 19 Feb., 1812. This is recorded in Deed book 6, page 188, Sullivan County, TN"

** In the deed book index his last name was spelled craguner. Cragor on the actual deed.

In a posting that I read on a message board somewhere-- there was a mention that while Patrick Cragun was on one tax list, that in a surrounding county he was listed as infirm (to the best of my recollection, it was in the same year.) Do you have any knowledge of that? It's certainly possible that there were two Patricks in the area with similar Surnames. If you have any suggestions please let me know. just e-mail me. I have set up an e-mail just for genealogy correspondence.

In 1880 Edmond Crager (son of Patrick) stated that his father was born in Ireland-- we don't know if he traveled to the U.S. as an adult or came with his family as a child. He lived in Sullivan County Tennesse/Virgina/NC (you know the area). from at least 1784-1812

No comments:

Post a Comment