Thursday, May 31, 2012

More Questions Than Answers on Patrick Cragun, I Think

Sullivan County Marker (Blountville, Tennessee)
I guess we have a lot of answers, really, when we inventory what we know about the history of The Cragun family from Patrick down.
Today was another family history library day, half day actually.

I was focused on Patrick and Sullivan County Tennessee. The history of this area in the times of Patrick is fascinating. Patrick is found here in 1780 as Cregan. Pg 226 Index to Oliver Taylors Historic Sullivan County, land transaction.

We have undocumented, as far as I know of his children being born in Sullivan County or Russell County Virginia. In an earlier post I downplayerd the Virginia factor. Perhaps I am wrong in this although it is about 43 miles from one the Tennessee location to the Virginia location. The children possibly born in Virginia are in the middle of those born in Tennessee.


I have a form that says, "I want to know", "I already know", and "I conclude that" Here is one of the questions in my "I want to know column". You are welcome to help.

Did he serve in the revolutionary war? Here are reasons I would love to have this answer: Patrick is about 35 years old when he shows up in Sullivan County, Tn. Sullivan County is named after the Revolutionary War hero General John Sullivan. General Sullivan ended his career with his battle against the Iriquos in that area of Tennessee. Patrick would have been about 22 when the Boston Tea Party. If he participated in that, where was he between that Boston event and age 35 in Tennessee? Is it possible that as Sullivan served part of the war in Boston that Patrick was one of his soldiers, and followed him to Tennessee?

If you want a good Cragun history task, work on this question with me.

The answer to that might help fill in a lot of unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment