Saturday, July 21, 2012

Moving Forward On Patrick Cragun Research

ARE YOU A DECENDENT OF PATRICK CRAGUN'S CHILDREN THAT DID NOT JOIN THE MORMONS AND GO WEST?  IF SO, WE I WANT YOU! (See who went west at end of the article)

I have spent hours, even days in researching Ireland, looking for Patrick and his father, Caleb (we think that's his name). This has probably been wasted to a great degree as I don't know how he spelled his last name back then. Cragun is not  the way I am sure.

I also don't know what County he lived in. We are told, Dublin, and that is possible. But was it really? I spent all day yesterday on my research day looking at at Dublin records. I write that research in the previous article.

For quite some time I have felt that Patricks children that did not join the Mormons and move west would have clues and answers. The photo below my be wrong, but it shows Patrick and Rose Hannah Alley had 12 children. Only three went west. My Grandfather, Elisha, died on the plains in the trek west. Most of those pioneers lost almost everything and their heirs are relying on word of mouth stories for most of their facts. His son Simeon was my great grandfather. Simeon made it to Utah.

With that in mind, It seems to me if you are related to those that stayed in Indiana, Tennesse, even Virginia might hold the clues in your records. You might have stories passed on that confirm or change the stories we know.

Regarding Patricks children going to Utah:
Enoch started and diverted to Missouri.
Hiram did not go.
Rebecca Cragun Beemer made it to Council Bluffs and aborted, ending up in Inidana.
James, Simeon, Mary, Tyresha, and Tabitha made it.
His other children died.

Elishas Siblings Elizabeth and Syren joined the Mormons, I have not yet determined if they went west.

2 comments:

  1. I am using the blog: http://larrycragunfamily.blogspot.com/ for all my current postings. I am also heavily committed to FamilySearch family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Are you still looking for descendants of Patrick Cragun's children who did not go west?!
    You found one!!
    Hiram Cragun, 3rd Great Grandfather
    Nebuchadnezzar Cragun, 2nd Great Grandfather
    Vando Melville Cragun, Great Grandfather
    Mary Francis Cragun Barker, Grandmother
    Marvin Lester Barker, Father
    and me, Wanda Carol Barker Wright.
    And, makes us, if I did it right, 4th Cousins 1xRemoved.
    Nice to meet ya! :)
    I live in Indiana, and will be visiting GGG-Grampa Hiram,and others on Monday, Memorial Day, telling stories to other family members who tag along on our Annual Ancestry Tour.
    I don't know if I can be of any help to you, but, it would be great to chat with you non the less!!!
    Have a great day, and a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete