Monday, April 23, 2012

I am really interested to discover things about Patrick Cragun that is not in Eva Heiner's book Patrick Cragun, Descendants In America 1744 - 1969. I met Eva not long before she died. I appreciate her commitment to her research. The book is a valuable record. I refer to her book a quote the illustrates my longing for more facts about our ancestor Patrick Cragun: "During our many years of searching, we have not yet found a definite proof of his birthplace. However, a book called "History of Cass County, "Indiana" found in the Indianapolis library, page 214 states "that the family of Cragun was founded in America by Patrick Cragun who came from Dublin, Ireland prior to the Revolutionary war and took part in the struggles of The American colonists that resulted in the winning of Independence.

We have better research tools now. We are learning to collaborate. Lets do it!

On April 20th I did searches in Ancestry.com for the census years 1790 - 1840 with the spelling of Cragun. In the 1790 there is a posting in Sullivan County, Tennessee of Patrick Creagon. I find 11 children are born in Tennessee in Census information.

I searched Patrick Cragun with no success on the following sites: Google, Internment.net, RootsWeb, Surname.net, Guild.com, MyHeritage, live Roots, and FindAGrave.com.

In Google photos I was forwarded to a site that had a record of him living in Sullivan County, Tennesse in 1795.

As I am now posting my research, I expect to be better on the detail of the research. As I look at the above I realize that need.

Comments are open for your input. You are also invited to post here. Larry Cragun

2 comments:

  1. As I recall, Eva's daughter is doing an updated version of that book. Now, if only I could remember her name. I heard about it at the time I helped on the Cragun reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the granddaughter, I sent her contact information by email.

    ReplyDelete